Croatia’s Donna Vekic had to play twice on Saturday but did not drop a set as she cruised into the German Open final with a 6-4 7-6(8) victory over world number eight Maria Sakkari of Greece.
The 26-year-old had first beaten lucky loser Elina Avanesyan in straight sets in their quarterfinal on Saturday morning after play was cancelled due to heavy rain on Friday.
Armed with her thundering forehand, the World No. 23 bagged the first set courtesy of an early break and then reeled in the sixth seed after Sakkari took a quick 2-0 lead in the second to force a tiebreak.
Vekic made it two wins from her Saturday matches on her fourth match point with another forehand winner flying past her opponent, who also had to play twice in a day, having earlier beaten Marketa Vondrousova in her last-eight match.
Sakkari has now lost all five of her semifinals this season. Vekic will face either Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova or Czech Petra Kvitova in Sunday’s final.
- India vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: Rohit, Gill attack Aryan Dutt in PowerPlay - IND v NED match updates
- MotoGP 2023: Bastianini wins Malaysian Grand Prix as Bagnaia extends title lead
- India vs Netherlands Dream11 Prediction, World Cup 2023: IND vs NED playing XI, fantasy team, squads
- Full list of teams qualified for Champions Trophy 2025: England makes the cut, Afghanistan to debut
- ICC World Cup 2023 Points Table after ENG vs PAK: England seventh, Pakistan finishes at fifth place