The All England Lawn Tennis Club committee has announced the seedings for Wimbledon 2019 which begins on July 1. World number ones Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty are the top seeds in the men's and women's singles, respectively.
Rafael Nadal, as expected, has been seeded third despite being second in the ATP rankings, due to the unique seeding formula used by the grasscourt Grand Slam, which is based on previous form on grass. Nadal had termed the system disrespectful earlier this week and Djokovic had sympathised with him .
Wimbledon is the only one of the four Grand Slam tournaments not to stick rigidly to the ATP and WTA rankings.
Nadal, seeking a first Wimbledon title in nine years, will probably have to go through eight-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer (seeded second) and four-time winner Djokovic to get his hands on the trophy for a third time.
World number eight Kevin Anderson is seeded fourth because of his runner-up finish last year.
The women's seeding order mostly follows the WTA ranking list, except where in the opinion of the committee, a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw.
Therefore, last year's women's singles runner-up, Serena Williams, has not seen a corresponding jump in her seeding. The seven-time Wimbledon champion is seeded 11th. Defending champion Angelique Kerber has been seeded fifth.
Here are the seedings in full:
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 7: Mumbai, TN, Kerala eye early wickets; Bengal collapses vs Punjab
- India’s series win vs Australia highlights squad depth and leadership potential ahead of T20 World Cup
- Tiger Woods vaults 430 spots, drawing scrutiny to world rankings
- NBA: Sixers’ Oubre ready to return after ‘traumatic’ hit and run
- La Liga: Celta Vigo comes from behind to draw with 10-man Cadiz