Left-arm pacer Mohsin Khan avoided a possible amputation of his bowling hand after approaching the doctor just in time, the Lucknow Super Giants player revealed after his match-winning effort against Mumbai Indians in the IPL here.
Entrusted with the task to defend 11 runs in the final over against a marauding Tim David and Cameron Green, Mohsin gave away just five to help his team win the game and inch closer to a play-off berth on Tuesday night.
This after the speedster underwent a surgery to remove blood clots in his bowling shoulder last year. The shoulder injury on his bowling hand kept him out LSG’s line-up for majority of the 2023 IPL season.
READ THE MATCH REPORT HERE
“It was a very tough time and I had given up hope of playing cricket at one point because I was not able to even lift my hand, forget bowling,” Mohsin said at the post-match press conference, recalling the time he was battling the injury.
“I was not able to straighten it (my hand), my physio worked alongside me. It was medical related, it was quite scary, as the doctor had said if I was late by another month they would have had to amputate my hand,” he added.
The 24-year-old from Uttar Pradesh had a sensational season last year but missed whole of domestic season and most part of the IPL this year due to the injury.
He was playing in only his second match this IPL season.
“Regarding my injury, I would first like to say that no cricketer should suffer this kind of condition. It was quite strange, my artery was blocked, my nerve was blocked.
“But my association’s (Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association) Rajeev Shukla sir, LSG’s Sanjeev (Goenka) sir, my family helped me a lot. They gave their best, but still I was struggling before and after the surgery.” Talking about his plan in the final over, he said he was looking to implement what he did in training.
- Mohammed Siraj back at No.1 in ICC Men’s ODI bowling rankings
- Asian Games 2023 Live Score and Updates, September 20: Indians in action in rowing, pentathlon; Volleyball men’s team faces South Korea
- Manchester United vs Bayern Munich - a trip down memory lane of the historic 1999 Champions League final
- India kits at Asian Games 2023: What do the patterns on the Indian jerseys signify?
- Manchester United goalkeeper Earps wins England Women’s Player of the Year