I am what I am because I played hockey. There was a lot of respect for hockey players and I learnt it from watching the game at packed stadiums. Later I played in front of packed venues.
I always looked forward to stepping on to the hockey field. It gave me a lot of happiness. I took pride in winning matches for the nation and I felt happier when those exploits would be written about in Sportstar. It was so inspiring to see your photographs published in Sportstar. You had to be very good to find a mention in Sportstar. There was no TV then and magazines would bring you detailed coverage along with the newspapers.
I am happy to note that Sportstar is 40 years old now. I wish the publishers of Sportstar the best.
(As told to Vijay Lokapally)
- Mitrovic’s late brace helps seal a huge win for Al Hilal against Ronald’s Al Nassr in Saudi Pro League
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr Highlights, HIL 3-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Savic, Mitrovic scores, Ronaldo’s goal ruled off side
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence
- India Women’s squads for Tests, England T20Is announced: Saika Ishaque, Shubha Satheesh get maiden call-ups
- SA vs IND: Sai Sudharsan ‘lost for words’ after maiden India call-up for South Africa ODIs