Savita Punia won the Sportswoman of the Year award in Team Sports at the 2023 Sportstar Aces Award in Mumbai on Monday.
After taking over from Rani Rampal as the captain of the Indian women’s hockey team, goalkeeper Savita Punia has performed exceedingly well in her dual role of a leader as well as the last line of defence. She was instrumental in leading India to the third-place finish in the 2021-22 FIH Pro League by pulling off 57 saves in 14 matches. Her brilliant saves - especially against England and Spain - in the World Cup were the high points even though India placed ninth.
She also led the team to bronze medals in the Asia Cup and the Commonwealth Games. It was India’s first Commonwealth Games medal after 16 years. She was named FIH Goalkeeper of the Year for the second consecutive year.
Legendary India cricketer Sunil Gavaskar, former India hockey captain M. M. Somaya, chess great Viswanathan Anand, former India football skipper Bhaichung Bhutia, Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra, Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra and Olympians Anjali Bhagwat and Aparna Popat are the members of the Sportstar Aces 2023 jury.
The event is supported by IDFC First Bank, Indian Oil, India Cements, United India, Ramaiah University, Experimenta Science Center GD Naidu Charity, Finolex Pipes, LIC, BPCL, Samsonite, Big Basket, Nippon Paint, CRICHQ, Wordswork, NewsX and Casagrand.
- WI vs IND, 2nd Test: India eight wickets away from a series clean sweep against West Indies
- IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4 Highlights: Ashwin picks two, West Indies 76/2 in 365 chase vs India at stumps
- They didn’t even try playing shots, Mhambrey on West Indies batters
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France