Six-time world champion M. C. Mary Kom (51kg) was assured of a medal in her first competitive outing since qualifying for the Olympics last year when she entered the semifinals of the Boxam International Tournament in Castellon, Spain, on Wednesday.
The 37-year-old, who had not competed since her Tokyo qualification last year in Jordan, defeated Italian Giordana Sorrentino with a split verdict in the quarterfinal stage of the event.
Next up for her is American Virginia Fuchs as she builds up to her second Olympic appearance in Tokyo later this year.
It was a watchful start by the experienced Indian as she took her time to get a measure of her aggressive opponent. Both the boxers preferred to counter-attack in the opening round, adopting a cautious approach for most parts.
The proceedings picked up pace in the second round but in the final three minutes, it was Mary Kom who launched into attacks, dropping her guard completely and using her right hooks to good effect.
Earlier, in the men's draw, Olympic-bound Manish Kaushik (63kg) advanced to the quarterfinals with a facile opening win.
A 14-member Indian boxing contingent (eight men and six women), including nine Olympic-qualified boxers, is taking part at the 35th edition of the tournament. All of the boxers have made the quarterfinals.
Boxers from 17 countries, including Russia, USA, Italy, Kazakhstan and Spain, are participating in the event.
- India vs Australia LIVE Score Updates, 4th T20I: AUS - 126/6 (16.4), David and Short dismissed by Chahar; Streaming info
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr LIVE Updates, Saudi Pro League: Preview, streaming info, predicted lineups, score prediction
- France coach Didier Deschamps to miss Euro 2024 draw after undergoing surgery
- ISL 2023-24: Odisha FC continues winning form, beats Jamshedpur FC 1-0
- IND A vs ENG A Women: Issy Wong’s heroics help England level T20 series 1-1