Pentala Harikrishna crashed out of the $150,000 Chessable Masters following a final-round defeat to Alexander Grischuk on Monday.
Harikrishna scored three points from 10 round-robin rounds and finished last in the six-player Group A. Russia’s Daniil Dubov, winner of the second leg - the Lindores Abbey Rapid Challenge - joined Harikrishna on the sidelines after successive defeats to Magnus Carlsen and Hikaru Nakamura.
Harikrishna, who started the day with a loss against overnight leader Vladislav Artemiev, held Magnus Carlsen, Dubov and Nakamura before losing to Grischuk.
The final-round victories for Nakamura and Grischuk helped them join Carlsen and Vladislav Artemiev in the quarterfinals. Nakamura and Grischuk pipped Dubov on tiebreak-count after the trio tied at five points.
Follow all the live action from Tuesday's matches:
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC