Viswanathan Anand missed a possible draw and suffered a shock defeat in 30 moves against Russian Evgeniy Najer in first round of the FIDE Chess.com Grand Swiss tournament here on Thursday.
The classy field, headed by World No. 1 Magnus Carlsen, features 15 Indians, including P. Hari Krishna and Vidit Gujrathi.
The victorious Indians included Vidit, B. Adhiban and Raunak Sadhwani. Indian teenagers made a splash when D. Gukesh held Hungarian veteran Peter Leko and Nihal Sarin proved equal to Armenian Gabriel Sargissian.
First-round results (involving Indians):
- Al Ain vs Al Nassr Highlights, AFC Champions League Quarterfinal: Rahimi goal gives host 1-0 advantage in first leg
- AFC Champions League quarterfinal: Ronaldo’s Al Nassr suffers narrow loss against Al Ain in first-leg
- ISL 2023-24: NorthEast United FC’s playoffs challenge takes a hit with a 2-2 draw against Hyderabad FC
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore beats UP Warriorz, finishes home leg on a high
- Indian shuttler B Sai Praneeth retires from international badminton