Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik beat Canada’s Ana Godinez Gonzalez by fall to win gold in Women’s Freestyle 62 kg at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games on Friday.
This is India’s third wrestling medal, and second gold, at this CWG after Bajrang Punia and Anshu Malik bagged gold and silver, respectively.
Sakshi beat Berthe Etane Ngolle in 62 seconds to reach the summit match.
Earlier, she had trumped Kesley Barnes of England by technical superiority in a minute and nine seconds to reach the semis.
This is Sakshi’s third medal at the Commonwealth Games - she had won silver in 2014 (58kg) and bronze at the 2018 (62kg) Games.
Sakshi is also the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal at the Olympics, bagging bronze in 2016.
- Neeraj Chopra becomes world champion in javelin throw
- World Athletics Championships, Live Updates: Neeraj Chopra wins gold in Men’s Javelin Throw, Manu and Jena in Top Six; 4x400m relay team finishes fifth, Parul breaks National Record in women’s steeplechase, qualifies for Paris Olympics
- Premier League: Super-sub Nunez grabs 2-1 win for 10-man Liverpool against Newcastle
- NUFC 1-2 LIV highlights, Premier League: Nunez brace guides 10-man Liverpool to comeback win against Newcastle
- Dutch Grand Prix: Ricciardo may need surgery and could be out for a while