- July 22, 2023 23:03Play called off due to rain
That is it folks as the umpires have called off play for the day because of rain. In what was a good afternoon session for Australia, Marnus Labuschagne scored a fighting century and along with Marsh kept England at bay. Tomorrow’s forecast isn’t great but you never know. We will be back for the final day.
- July 22, 2023 22:24Still raining, covers on
It is still raining and it might get difficult for play to continue with the light fading away. Let’s wait and watch.
- July 22, 2023 21:48Rain falls again in Manchester
The covers are back on as rain has returned to Old Trafford after the Tea break. We need to wait to hear some news about resumption.
- July 22, 2023 21:34Tea Break
Cameron Green survives an appeal and that was an excellent decision from the on-field umpire. Stokes did take a review and the ball did turn but there was no inside edge. It’s Tea time and England needs five wickets with Australia trailing by 61 runs.
- July 22, 2023 21:21Labuschagne falls
Root strikes and the former England captain removes Labuschagne with an excellent delivery. Bairstow and England went up for the review straightaway after the onfield umpire ruled Not Out as Root ends Labuschagne’s stay at the crease. Bairstow took an excellent catch and England has made the breakthrough with Labuschagne getting an outside edge. Australia trails by 64 runs.
- July 22, 2023 21:15Labuschagne, Marsh raise 100-run stand
The 100-run partnership between Labuschagne and Marsh is up and it has been a commendable one, given the manner how England made quick breakthroughs. A very special century and he knows his job is not yet done as he needs to bat through and help Australia bring down the deficit further.
- July 22, 2023 21:05Labuschagne hits century
Labuschange has taken on the spinners, especially Root as he hammers the spinner over long-on for a maximum and then was really lucky to survive as the outside edge flew fast to Crawley at first slip. Tough chance. The batsman got to his century with a quick single to get to his 11th Test century, his second against England.
- July 22, 2023 20:55Spin from both ends
Joe Root comes into the attack which means the fast bowlers cannot run through. Labuschagne, meanwhile, is nearing his century as he welcomes Root with a cut short and then skipped down the track and deposits the spinner for a six to bring the deficit to less than 100 runs.
- July 22, 2023 20:49Poor light forces spin into attack
Moeen Ali has come into the attack and the umpires point to the light issue with Anderson and Broad including Stokes not too happy with the decision. The light metre is out and a reading has been taken.
- July 22, 2023 20:46Ball has been changed
There has been a ball change and it’s Root who is the designated shiner of the ball with Anderson sticking to full lengths after banging some short stuff. Marsh responded with a wonderful flick and with the dampness around keeping the ball dry will be a challenge for England.
- July 22, 2023 20:33Australia motors on
Australia has progressed undisturbed through the first hour of play and both Labuschagne and Marsh have been watchful in their approach. There were pulls and cuts and the strike rotation has been excellent. England bowlers have been relentless but a breakthrough has evaded the home side.
- July 22, 2023 20:26Labuschagne, Marsh bring 50-run partnership
The 50-run partnership between Labuschagne and Marsh is up in 111 balls and this has been an excellent period of play from Australia’s point of view. The weather is clear and is holding up as England has stuck to their plans and the bowlers have been disciplined. But the resistance from the batsmen has been brilliant and runs have come through.
- July 22, 2023 20:15Labuschagne attacked with short balls
There are two short mid-wicket fielders for Labuschagne as Anderson and England are testing the batsman with some short balls and mixing with the full deliveries as England aims to break the stand which is worth 42 off 97 deliveries. Marsh has been really good and he plays an exquisite cover drive to keep the momentum going.
- July 22, 2023 20:02England searches for breakthrough
Anderson is back in the attack as Woakes leaves the field with both Labuschagne and Marsh forging an important stand for Australia. Bairstow is standing up to the stumps with Marsh at strike as the batsman did charge down the track on a couple of occasions. Broad is into the attack as England makes two bowling changes.
- July 22, 2023 19:51England attacks, Labuschagne resists
Brook is under the helmet, fielding at short leg and there are two slips in place for Labuschagne as Wood operates. The bowler goes short and then went full as Labuschagne tucks one behind the square to keep the scorecard ticking. Jonny Bairstow is standing up
the stumps with Woakes steaming in. England is setting up a plan to get Labuschange out but the batsman has stood up to the challenge.
- July 22, 2023 19:36Fifty for Labuschagne
Labuschagne gets to his fifty off 99 balls and it’s been an excellent innings that’s laced with determination and positive intent. The defence has been solid and most importantly the batsman has relied on singles for strike rotation and not allowing the bowlers to dictate terms on him.
- July 22, 2023 19:30Marsh attacks England
Just one over for Anderson as Chris Woakes comes into the attack with Labuschagne looking comfortable in the middle. The lights have taken full effect and Marsh gets the first boundary of the morning with a cut through the point region. Marsh then went for another big shot and Moeen Ali just missed the catch at deep mid-wicket. A positive start from Australia.
- July 22, 2023 19:24Wood, Anderson aim to make early inroads
Mark Wood partners Anderson and he beats Labuschagne’s defence with a peach of a delivery after the batsman got off the mark off the very first ball he faced against Anderson. Even Marsh too is off the mark and England will look to let the ball do the talking with overcast conditions on offer.
- July 22, 2023 19:16Match time at Old Trafford
Australia trails by 162 runs with Marnus Labuschagne and Mitchell Marsh having a tough job in their hands with Labuschagne nearing his half-century. We are off with Anderson who will start proceedings with three slips in position.
- July 22, 2023 19:04Revised Playing Conditions
Afternoon session 14:45-17:00 | Evening Session: 17:20-19:00 - Tea Break: 17:00-17:20 -59 overs to be bowled
- July 22, 2023 18:54Stokes walks out, no rain at Old Trafford
- July 22, 2023 18:46Play to start shortly
The umpires have given a 40-minute window to keep an eye on the rain although there is a prediction of further rain, the good part is for now, we should have a resumption. England will be delighted.
- July 22, 2023 18:40Good news!
Play will start at 7:20 IST & 14:45 local time, provided there is no further rain.
- July 22, 2023 18:19Ground staff at work
We are nearly 15 minutes away from the first inspection after the rain stopped at Old Trafford just a while back. It isn’t raining currently and the umpires will make their way to check the conditions shortly.
- July 22, 2023 18:01ECB confirms inspection
- July 22, 2023 17:58Inspection soon
The umpires will inspect the conditions at 2:00 PM local time and it would be great if we can have a resumption.
- July 22, 2023 17:37Rain stops at Old Trafford
There are visuals from Old Trafford where the rain has stopped and the groundsmen are at work. However, we need to wait for the resumption time as the ground is filled with water.
- July 22, 2023 17:21Rain relents a bit
We have some bright news as the members of the ground staff are clearing the puddles, according to reports. Let’s hope the rain stops completely and we have some play for the day.
- July 22, 2023 17:13Watch: The red ball revolution
- July 22, 2023 16:43The story so far
Australia was 113-4 in its second innings at the close of play on Friday, trailing England by 162 runs with six wickets remaining. Australia is 2-1 up in the five-match series.
- July 22, 2023 16:18Rain continues to fall
There hasn’t been much improvement as rain continues to fall in Manchester. Heavy rain prevented play from starting on time on Day four of the fourth Test. The weather forecast is bleak and there are possibilities that the play might be washed out for the rest of the day. Still, fingers crossed and hope to get some play underway.
- July 22, 2023 15:39England Cricket confirms delayed start
- July 22, 2023 15:33Start delayed due to rain
We are in for a delayed start providing the rain stops completely and the weather clears a bit. By this time, the first ball could have been bowled but that isn’t happening.
- July 22, 2023 15:16Covers firmly on
Australia will be happier as according to reports, the rain has gotten heavier. We will keep you posted with timely updates.
- July 22, 2023 14:53Ashes 2023: Bairstow hits back at critics after big-hitting heroics
- July 22, 2023 14:44The present scene at Old Trafford
- July 22, 2023 14:37Ashes 2023, 4th Test Day 3: Bairstow blitzkrieg, Wood’s three-for leave Australia reeling
- July 22, 2023 14:34England in command, Australia prays for rain
Rain is there on the radar in Manchester but you never know how things will shape up. The rain gods might relent with England dictating terms and Australia facing a stiff challenge. Stay tuned as we bring you all the latest updates.
- WPL 2024 Mumbai Indians vs Delhi Capitals Live Score: Harmanpreet opts to bowl first in MI vs DC opening clash; Shabnim Ismail makes debut
- WPL 2024 Opening Ceremony highlights: SRK steals the show, captains unveil trophy in star-studded evening
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Crawley lauds Joe for staying ‘root’ed under pressure on opening day
- Man United’s Hojlund to miss two to three weeks with injury
- Formula One: Red Bull is still ‘out in the distance’, says Hamilton