Cricket Australia (CA) said on Tuesday opener David Warner and all-rounder Mitch Marsh will be rested for the five-match Twenty20 International series against Sri Lanka next month to prepare for the upcoming tour of Pakistan.
The 16-man squad includes five players -- Pat Cummins, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood -- from the recent Test team that demolished England 4-0 in the Ashes series.
Hazlewood returns after missing the final four Ashes Tests with a side strain.
"This squad will begin preparation for the ICC T20 World Cup defence at home later this year and includes several players who have an early chance to impress in these five matches against a quality opposition," CA said.
The series against Sri Lanka will be played from February 11-20.
Australia will then play three Tests, three One-Day Internationals and a T20 International in Pakistan starting on March 3.
- Former champion Wozniacki handed Australian Open wildcard
- IPL auction 2024: Full list of squads, players after retention day
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out obstructing the field in second Test against New Zealand
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup