Ben Stokes will not take part in England training on Tuesday after his father was hospitalised with a serious illness.
Ged Stokes was taken to hospital in Johannesburg on Monday and remains in a critical condition.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has allowed Stokes, 28, to be at his bedside while the rest of the team prepare for the Boxing Day Test against South Africa at SuperSport Park.
In a short statement, the ECB requested privacy for vice-captain Stokes and his family.
England and the Proteas will contest a four-match Test series.
- Denver Nuggets coach Michael Malone agrees to extension - Reports
- Horan sets sights on ninth Women’s Champions League crown for Lyon
- ATP Finals: Zverev battles past Alcaraz in opener
- Matches in international break: Messi expected in Argentina vs Brazil FIFA World Cup qualifiers, Ronaldo in action for Portugal
- Juventus’ Locatelli out of Euro 2024 qualifiers for Italy