Ben Stokes will not take part in England training on Tuesday after his father was hospitalised with a serious illness.
Ged Stokes was taken to hospital in Johannesburg on Monday and remains in a critical condition.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has allowed Stokes, 28, to be at his bedside while the rest of the team prepare for the Boxing Day Test against South Africa at SuperSport Park.
In a short statement, the ECB requested privacy for vice-captain Stokes and his family.
England and the Proteas will contest a four-match Test series.
- A low-ranked American tennis player banned after testing positive for marijuana at a tournament
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag doesn’t want Ratcliffe vote of confidence
- Bundesliga boss says rejection of investor deal ‘bad for the league’
- Pochettino asks Chelsea owners to be patient
- US to host Brazil for friendly ahead of Copa America