Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) XI has seized the first day having bowled out Kerala for 218 in the Group-D match of the TNCA Buchi Babu Memorial All India invitational cricket tournament at the India Cement Company ground here on Tuesday.
Kerala lost half of its wickets in the first session itself. The wicket was conducive for fast-bowlers and that elicited a sigh of joy from both the TNCA coach L. Balaji and bowler P. Saravana Kumar.
A visibly content Saravana Kumar said at the tea break that the wicket offered carry, while after the day’s play Balaji said, “If you play in a very good wicket, definitely you have a better chance of playing a good brand of cricket. So, that is what happened. Especially fast-bowlers! When there is a little bit of help from the wicket that maximises the fast-bowlers’ energy.”
Three batters perished playing the pull short to short deliveries. Opener Krishna Prasad pulled P. Saravana Kumar to be caught by M. Siddharth at deep square leg, Vathsal Govind Sharma pulled Ajay K. Krishna to be caught by M. Siddharth again at deep square leg, and Vinoop S. Manoharan attempted a pull off V. Yudheeswaran to be caught behind down the leg side.
Besides taking two fine catches, left-arm spinner Siddharth ended up taking three wickets (three for 47). Skipper and off-spinner M. Shahrukh Khan picked up two wickets (two for 16).
Resistance came only in the form of left-hander Sijomon Joseph’s unbeaten 62 (93b, 6x4).
The scores (Day 1):
- NZ vs AFG LIVE Score, ICC World Cup 2023 Updates: Predicted Playing XI, Toss at 1.30pm
- SA vs NED, ODI World Cup 2023: Death bowling and poor start with bat reason for shock defeat, says Proteas coach Walter
- Mumbai Indians part ways with bowling coach Shane Bond
- India vs Iran kabaddi Asian Games final harder than Kargil posting, says head coach Edachery Bhaskaran
- England lacking confidence, must get on the front foot at World Cup: Mott