Coronavirus: New Zealand tours to Windies, Bangladesh in doubt

New Zealand’s tours to Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland and West Indies are in “serious doubt” and there is uncertainty looming over the tour to Bangladesh in August.

All cricket has been stopped as New Zealand undergoes a four-week COVID-19 lockdown.   -  AP

New Zealand Cricket conceded upcoming tours to Europe and the West Indies were unlikely to proceed on Friday, with doubts also hanging over a planned visit to Bangladesh.

NZC chief executive David White said the trips to Ireland, Scotland, the Netherlands and the Caribbean scheduled for June-July were “most unlikely”, while there were “obvious question marks” about touring Bangladesh in August.

“Clearly, this situation is extremely disappointing for everyone involved in sport but, given the bigger picture, and the terrible toll COVID-19 is taking worldwide, we need to look after not only our own people but the greater community good,” White said.

READ| Sportstar archives: Ganguly, the captain who didn't mince his words

He confirmed this month's tour to Sri Lanka by the White Ferns women's team had been cancelled.

All cricket has been stopped as New Zealand undergoes a four-week COVID-19 lockdown and White said NZC was examining possible playing scenarios for next season.

“Our current focus is very much on ensuring the future sustainability of cricket in New Zealand,” White said.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

  Dugout videos