West Indies cricket great Brian Lara has parted ways with IPL (Indian Premier League) team Sunrisers Hyderabad, the franchise announced on Monday.
Former New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori has taken over the role of head coach from Lara, the franchise said in a couple of posts on social media. This will be Vettori’s second coaching stint in the IPL as he had earlier coached Royal Challengers Bangalore from 2014 to 2018. Under Vettori, RCB qualified for the IPL play-offs in 2015 and final in 2016.
Lara was appointed as the head coach of the Hyderabad-based franchise before the start of the 2023 IPL season and took charge of the team after former head coach Tom Moody left the side.
“As our two-year association with Lara came to an end, we bid adieu to him. Thank you for the contribution to the Sunrisers. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours,” a social media post from SRH read.
Lara previously served as the strategic advisor and batting coach of SRH in the 2022 season and was elevated to the role of head coach after Moody departed.
However, under Lara, the team struggled to make an impact in the 2023 season and finished at the bottom of the table. From 14 games, Hyderabad managed to win just four and lost 10 games in IPL 2023.
- Elise Mertens claims back-to-back Monastir titles
- India vs New Zealand Live Score, World Cup 2023: IND 182/3 (32); Kohli, Rahul keep 274 chase on track with 50-run stand
- IND vs NZ, ICC ODI World Cup: Shubman Gill surpasses Hashim Amla to become fastest to 2000 ODI runs
- IND vs NZ: Poor visibility stops play at Dharamsala for around 10 minutes
- Mohammad Shami becomes first Indian with two five-wicket hauls in ICC ODI World Cup history