A young club cricketer died after collapsing on the field during a friendly match on Wednesday.
Sonu Yadav, 22, who plays for Ballygunge Sporting Club in Cricket Association of Bengal’s second division league, was playing a match at the Bata Club ground.
According to those present at the ground, the wicketkeeper-batsman was going back to the tent after finishing his batting and he suddenly collapsed. He was quickly rushed to the SSKM hospital where he was declared brought dead.
A few years back, another junior Bengal player Aniket Sharma had lost his life collapsing on the field while playing at the Paikpara ground.
Ballygunge SC official Shyamal Banerjee said: “I cannot believe that Sonu is no more. Sonu was a very talented cricketer. I heard the news in the afternoon. Heard Sonu was playing with his friends because our club did not have any match. I pray to almighty so that it gives strength to his family to deal with this loss.”
- UP Warriorz vs Gujarat Giants Live Score, WPL 2024: UPW wins toss; opts to bowl first; Chamari Athapaththu makes debut
- PKL Final Live Score: Puneri Paltan takes on Haryanan Steelers as Pro Kabaddi League awaits new champion
- AFG vs IRE, Test: Ireland beats Afghanistan to register first-ever Test win
- LIVE Mohun Bagan SG vs Jamshedpur FC score, ISL 10: Kick-off at 7:30 PM IST; MBSG v JFC lineups; When, where to watch
- Santosh Trophy 2023-24: Services tops Group A after draw with Kerala; Goa second after being held by Assam