India’s semifinal match against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday will be Rohit Sharma’s third last-four match in an ODI World Cup.
FOLLOW LIVE | India vs New Zealand ODI World Cup 2023 Semifinal
In the two semifinals - in 2015 and 2019 - Rohit has failed to live up to expectations.
Against Australia in 2015, Rohit got off to steady start. Chasing a massive 329-run target, Shikhar Dhawan played the aggressor while Rohit held the other end to add 72 runs for the first wicket.
However, with Dhawan and Virat Kohli falling in quick succession, the pressure got to Rohit. An in-seaming delivery from Mitchell Johnson passed through his gate and dislodged the bails. He scored 34 off 48 deliveries.
Four years later, Rohit was again put in charge to steer India in a run chase. Rain forced the semifinal against New Zealand to be moved to the Reserve Day with India needing 240 to win in 50 overs.
This time, the Indian top-order was jolted by Matt Henry and Trent Boult’s opening spells. Henry got the then vice-captain caught behind in the second over.
Rohit Sharma in ODI World Cup semifinals
Rohit’s record has not been impressive at the Wankhede Stadium either. In four innings, he has managed 50 runs at an average of of 12.50. In his last appearance at the venue, against Sri Lanka in thhe ongoing World Cup, Rohit was castled on his second delivery by Madushanka.
- Pune Challenger 2024: Vacherot storms into final with a comeback win against Sweeny
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Healy departs early as Warriorz chase 158
- Indian sports wrap, February 24
- ISL 2023-24: Injury-hit Kerala Blasters hosts FC Goa as both teams look to regain winning touch
- IND vs ENG Test series: Bazball is not about being arrogant but bringing the best out of team says Joe Root