Australia’s Travis Head was declared the Player of the Match in his side’s 2023 ODI World Cup final win against India in Ahmedabad on Sunday.
The Australian opener top-scored for his side in a 241-run chase, with a 120-ball 137. Head’s composed knock was studded with 15 fours and six sixes.
The 29-year-old left-handed batter saw through a menacing opening spell from India’s Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami to become only the second batter after Aravinda de Silva to score a World Cup final hundred while chasing.
Interestingly, Head was also the player of the match when Australia got the better of India in the World Test Championship final earlier in the year.
Head also became the fourth player to win the man of the match in the semifinal and final of the same World Cup - after Aravinda de Silva, Mohinder Amarnath and Shane Warne.
ALL WORLD CUP FINAL PLAYER OF THE MATCH WINNERS
- Clive Lloyd (West Indies) - 102 (85) & 1/38 vs Australia, Lord’s, 1975
- Viv Richards (West Indies) - 138* (157) vs England, Lord’s, 1979
- Mohinder Amarnath (India) - 26 (80) & 3/12 vs West Indies, Lord’s, 1983
- David Boon (Australia) - 75 (125) vs England, Kolkata, 1987
- Wasim Akram (Pakistan) - 33 (18) & 3/49 vs England, Melbourne, 1992
- Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka) - 107* (124) & 3/42 vs Australia, Lahore, 1996
- Shane Warne (Australia) - 4/33 vs Pakistan, Lord’s, 1999
- Ricky Ponting (Australia) - 140* (121) vs India, Johannesburg, 2003
- Adam Gilchrist (Australia) - 149 (104) vs Sri Lanka, Bridgetown, 2007
- MS Dhoni (India) - 91* (79) vs Sri Lanka, Mumbai, 2011
- James Faulkner (Australia) - 3/36 vs New Zealand, Melbourne, 2015
- Ben Stokes (England) - 84* (98) vs New Zealand, Lord’s, 2019
- Travis Head (Australia) - 137 (120) vs India, Ahmedabad, 2023
- India vs Australia, World Cup 2023 final: Travis Head named Player of the Match
- Travis Head becomes fourth player to win Player of the Match in final, semifinal of same ODI World Cup
- Las Vegas Grand Prix: Russell takes the blame for costly Verstappen collision
- We were not good enough on the day: Rohit Sharma after World Cup final loss
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers: Stimac requests patience with Indian forwards before Qatar clash