- March 02, 2023 16:54WWicket! Siraj falls, India folds
OUT! Siraj steps out and is comprehensively bowled by Lyon, who gets his eighth wicket. India 163 all out and Australia will need 76 to win in the fourth innings when it comes out to bat tomorrow. Another day where wickets fell in a heap, starting with Australia losing six wickets for 11 runs to Ashwin and Umesh. While 76 may not be too much, the Indian bowlers will feel they at least have something to bowl out. We’ll find out tomorrow in the first session. Thank you for joining us.
- March 02, 2023 16:50Top wicket-takers in Border-Gavaskar Trophy
Nathan Lyon - 112; Anil Kumble - 111; R. Ashwin - 106
- March 02, 2023 16:446Axar goes big
Axar is understandably turning down the singles while Lyon seems to be struggling with stiffness in his calf. SIX! Just after Lyon seeks some medical attention, Axar sweeps him for a maximum to take India’s lead to 74. India 163/9 in 59 overs.
- March 02, 2023 16:25WWicket! Smith takes a stunner
OUT! Pujara nudges one behind and Smith dives to his right and takes an unbelievable reflex catch at leg-slip. Wicket number six for Lyon and India is eight down with a lead of 67. Umesh is trapped leg-before next ball. He reviews and survives as ball-tracking shows it was just missing leg-stump. OUT! He perishes next ball however as Umesh quite expectedly goes for the slog sweep and Green takes it at deep midwicket. Siraj is the last man in and survives the last ball of the over. India 155/9 in 57 overs.
- March 02, 2023 16:186Pujara breaks the shackles
Pujara steps out and hammers Lyon for a six over deep midwicket after just four runs had come in the last five overs. Rohit Sharma in the dressing room is pleased with that statement of intent. India 151/7 in 55 overs.
- March 02, 2023 15:49WWICKET! ASHWIN GONE
The seventh wicket falls as Lyon completes his 23rd 5-wicket haul in Test and 9th fifer against India. This time he removes Ashwin by trapping him for lbw.
Ashwin lbw b Lyon 16(28b 2x4)
- March 02, 2023 15:3650Fifty for Pujara
A potential match-defining knock from Pujara. He reaches his 35th Test fifty to keep Australia at bay in Indore. He will have to stay and score more runs if India needs to win this match.
- March 02, 2023 15:14BWICKET!! K S BHARAT DEPARTS
Bowled! Lyon picks his fourth. Bharat tries to defend but picks the wrong line as the ball goes through his defence to bowl him out. India is under tremendous pressure. Ravichandran Ashwin comes in to join Pujara. The last recognised pair.
Srikar Bharat b Lyon 3(8)
- March 02, 2023 14:59WWICKET!! IYER DEPARTS
Out! Shreyas Iyer falls for the trap. Smith brought Starc and he strikes for Australia instantly. This is brilliant captaincy by him to replace Kuhnemann at the right time. However, full credit goes to Khawaja this time as he takes a stunner to send dangerous-looking Iyer. K S Bharat comes in at number seven.
Shreyas Iyer c Khawaja b Starc 26(27b 3x4 2x6)
- March 02, 2023 14:54Mitchell Starc into the attack
Proactive change from captain Smith to bring Starc into the attack by replacing Kuhnemann. Interesting to see how both batters tackle him.
- March 02, 2023 14:486Iyer on rescue
This is a fearless approach from Iyer to put Australia on the back foot. He charges on Kuhnemann to hit him for a six and a four to take 10 runs off his over.
- March 02, 2023 14:444100 up for India
Quick runs came in for India as Iyer takes the charge to hit Lyon for back-to-back boundaries and lead India past the 100-run mark.
- March 02, 2023 14:406India in lead
The intent and approach from both batters look clear as first Pujara slams Kuhnemann for a four through mid-wicket using his tremendous footwork, followed by Shreyas Iyer, who picks length quickly and registers the ball over deep mid-wicket for a boundary to get off the mark. And with this India takes the second-innings lead.
- March 02, 2023 14:33Live action resume
Chetestwar Pujara, batting on 36 and Shreyas Iyer who is yet to open his account in this innings comes out to bat after tea. Nathan Lyon starts the proceedings for Australia after break.
- March 02, 2023 14:14IND 79/4 in 32 overs - At Tea
The game is hanging on a thin wire for India as it has lost four wickets, and Australia will be the happier side going back at tea. India trails by nine runs but only has a handful of batters to come.
- March 02, 2023 14:07WWICKET!! RAVINDRA JADEJA GOES BACK
Another wicket falls as Jadeja departs on seven. The ball skids and hits the pad first as Australians look confident as they take review after on-field umpires give it not out. The review overturned the decision in favour of the visitors as India loses its fourth. India is 78/4 in 31 overs.
Jadeja lbw b Lyon 7(36)
- March 02, 2023 13:53IND 74/3 in 28 overs
A small partnership between the Saurashtra duo of Ravindra Jadeja and Cheteshwar Pujara takes India close to the 2nd innings lead. India trails by 14 runs now.
- March 02, 2023 13:33WWICKET!! KOHLI OUT
And the wait continues for Kohli’s big innings. Matthew Kuhnemann sends him back by trapping him for lbw. With a short-length ball, Kohli tries to pull off the back foot but misses the line as India loses its third.
Kohli lbw b Kuhnemann 13(26b 2x4)
- March 02, 2023 13:24Fifty up for India
Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara played carefully to avoid any casualties. India meanwhile, goes past 50.
- March 02, 2023 13:14IND 44/2 in 19 overs
Virat Kohli and Cheteswar Pujara steer the Indian innings close to 50 as we approach the drinks break.
- March 02, 2023 12:59WWICKET!! ROHIT HAS TO GO
India is in deep trouble as Rohit Sharma departs cheaply. Nathan Lyon gets his second wicket as the skipper walks back after scoring patient 12. Lyon bowls a middle line good length ball which hits the pads and looked plumb in front of the wickets. Rohit reviews this in hope of some miracle but the pitching was in line and so does all the markers resulting in his wicket. Virat Kohli comes in at number four.
Rohit lbw b Lyon 12(33)
- March 02, 2023 12:45Ashwin surpasses Kapil Dev to become India’s third-highest wicket-taker
Most wickets for India across formats (innings):
- 953 (499) - Anil Kumble
- 707 (442) - Harbhajan Singh
- 688* (347) - Ravichandran Ashwin
- 687 (448) - Kapil Dev
- 597 (373) - Zaheer Khan
- March 02, 2023 12:41IND 24/1 in 11 overs
Nathan Lyon gave the breakthrough to Australia just after lunch and the visitors have done well to not give any freebie runs. Rohit joined by Pujara will need to take things slowly here as quick wickets might close the game for India on day 2 itself. India trails by 64 at the moment.
- March 02, 2023 12:27ICYMI - Umesh Yadav becomes fastest Indian pacer to take 100 Test wickets at home
Indian pacer to take 100 plus Test wickets at home:
- Kapil Dev - 219 wickets
- Javagal Srinath - 108 wiclets
- Zaheer Khan - 104 wiclets
- Ishant Sharma - 104 wiclets
- Umesh Yadav - 101 wiclets
- March 02, 2023 12:18WWICKET!! SHUBMAN GILL
Nathan Lyon strikes! Shubman Gill tries to go for the big one but the ball spins in and crashes into the stumps to give Australia the first wicket. In comes Cheteshwar Pujara at number four to face his biggest nemesis, Nathan Lyon. Five gone, India 15 for one.
Shubman Gill b Lyon 5(15)
- March 02, 2023 12:14Live actions resume
Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill walks out after lunch to face Nathan Lyon.
- March 02, 2023 11:36India 13/0 in 4 overs at Lunch
Rohit and Gill ensure there is no damage in the first session. Rohit was in a bit of trouble last ball before lunch as Kuhnemann beat him comprehensively by turning it away outside off. There was an umpire review for stumping but Rohit was easily in. A huge session coming up for India, which still has a 75-run deficit to erase. Join us in 40 minutes.
- March 02, 2023 11:24Kuhnemann from the other end
The left-arm spinner beats Gill with some sharp turn outside off. Gill goes back in his crease and pushes one through covers for a single off the last ball. India 9/0 in 2 overs.
- March 02, 2023 11:194Rohit, Gill open for India
Starc comes from over the wicket. Drifted on the pads first ball and this goes for four leg-byes. Rohit is off the mark with a single, flicking a leg-stump line delivery to deep square. Gill opens his account with a push to mid-on for one more. A couple more for Rohit with a well-timed flick off the pads. India 8/0 in 1 over.
- March 02, 2023 11:09WAustralia 197 all out in 76.3 overs
OUT! Ashwin gets the last man Lyon, who goes for a sweep only to see his stumps disturbed. Australia all out for 197 after losing six wickets for just 11 runs. Ashwin and Umesh picked three each today to breathe life into this contest. Handscomb and Green were bent on batting India out of this game in the morning but little did they know that yet another precipitous collapse awaited the visitors. However, India still has a tough ask ahead as it will first need to erase a 88-run deficit.
- March 02, 2023 11:05WWicket! Murphy is gone
OUT! Murphy’s off-stump goes cartwheeling too as Umesh comes from around the wicket and gets the ball to angle in. Australia now has lost five wickets for 11 runs.
- March 02, 2023 10:58WWicket! Carey walks back
OUT! Ashwin gets his second wicket. Carey is trapped leg-before. He took a big stride forward to defend but missed and the ball thudded into the front pad. Niton Menon gives it out straightaway, Carey reviews but this is hitting leg-stump and he has to go. Australia 196/8 in 75 overs.
Alex Carey lbw b R. Ashwin 3(7b)
- March 02, 2023 10:53WWicket! Starc cleaned up
Umesh sends Starc’s off-stump flying. He comes around the wicket, angles the ball into the left-hander from back-of-a-length and Starc tamely looks to push at it and misses. This marks Umesh’s 100th wicket in India.
- March 02, 2023 10:48Carey and Starc at the crease
Carey is off the mark with a sweep off Ashwin, which fetches him a single.
- March 02, 2023 10:41WUmesh replaces Jadeja
WICKET! Umesh gets the other set batter Green in the next over. Umesh gets the ball to move in from back-of-a-length. Green is beaten on the inside edge as the ball clips his back pad. Joel Wilson gives it out, Green reviews but ball-tracking shows it was just clipping top of leg-stump on umpire’s call.
- March 02, 2023 10:38WWicket! Handscomb goes
Ashwin strikes! Handscomb plants his front leg forward to defend. The ball goes off the inside edge and Shreyas Iyer completes a sharp take at short-leg. Alex Carey comes in next.
Peter Handscomb c Shreyas Iyer b R. Ashwin 19(98b 1x4)
- March 02, 2023 10:26Ashwin into the attack
Ashwin replaces Axar. He comes around the wicket. Green and Handscomb step out and defend comfortably as both continue to bat India out of this contest.
- March 02, 2023 10:114Green attacks
Green steps out off the last ball of this Jadeja over and smashes this over mid-on for a boundary. Australia 171/4 in 64 overs.
- March 02, 2023 09:57Axar replaces Siraj
Green gets an outside edge but Shreyas Iyer is late to react at silly point and lets go of a sharp chance. Australia 166/4 in 61 overs.
- March 02, 2023 09:55Jadeja concedes his first run of the day
After two consecutive maidens, Jadeja finally gives something away. It is a full delivery outside off and Handscomb pushes it through covers for a single. Australia 164/4 in 60 overs.
- March 02, 2023 09:414First boundary of the day
FOUR! Full on middle and off and Green drives this past a diving Ashwin at mid-off to collect four runs. Australia 160/4 in 57 overs.
- March 02, 2023 09:36Jadeja from the other end
Jadeja keeps it tight, on the stumps and flat, and starts his day with a maiden over. Australia yet to score today.
- March 02, 2023 09:36Here comes Siraj
Mohammed Siraj to Cameron Green to start the day. Siraj is on the money and starts off with a maiden over. Australia 156/4 in 55 overs.
- March 02, 2023 08:50DAY 1 REVIEW
From India losing half its side to spin for less than 50, to Todd Murphy looking like he has got Virat Kohli’s number, taking the former India captain’s wicket for the second time in as many Tests, to failing to make 150 having elected to bat first, it was a dismal day for India. For Australia, it was one where fortunes fluctuated on a minefield of a pitch - Matt Kuhnemann got his first Test five-for, and his side started well with the bat before losing quick wickets towards the fag end, to be 156 for four at Stumps on day one of the third Border-Gavaskar Test in Indore. In the end, the frazzled minds and tortured techniques from the Delhi Test looked like memories of a distant past as Usman Khawaja and Marnus Labuschagne battled hard to keep the visitor alive in the series, albeit with slices of luck. - Ayan Acharya
Latest on Sportstar
- Three football training centres come up in Bhubaneswar
- Triple jumpers Unnikrishnan, Aboobacker win bronze at international meets
- UTT Season 4 Player Draft to take place in Mumbai on Friday
- Sportstar’s redesign: 45 years of journalism in a brand new avatar
- Thailand Open: Kiran George advances to quarterfinals; Chaliha exits