India captain Rohit Sharma became the first Indian to feature in seven Asia Cup editions when he took the field against Pakistan in Dubai on Sunday.
Rohit, who made his Asia Cup debut in the 2008 edition in Pakistan, also equaled Sri Lanka’s Mahela Jayawardena for the most matches played in the tournament with his 28th appearance. Among Indians, MS Dhoni and Sachin Tendulkar have featured in six Asia Cup editions.
The 34-year-old has racked up 883 runs in 26 innings at an average of 42.04 from the previous six editions. Rohit’s solitary century in the tournament, an unbeaten 111, came against Pakistan in the 2018 edition in Dubai. Rohit had also led India to its seventh Asia Cup title in 2018, in the absence of then ODI skipper Virat Kohli.
The Asia Cup is being played in the T20I format for the second time since the 2016 edition where India beat Bangladesh in the final in Mirpur.
- New Zealand test star Henry Nicholls cleared of ball tampering
- Man United manager Ten Hag remains defiant after suspension
- Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies at 28 after suffering a cardiac arrest mid-game
- Premier League: Solanke brace lifts Bournemouth out of relegation zone with win over Newcastle
- Fernandez leads Canada into Billie Jean King Cup final after win over Czechs