Australia has a problem of plenty going into the first game of its India tour. It has a number of opening batsmen -- including captain Aaron Finch -- to choose from for the two opening slots in both the T20s and the ODIs. "There's plenty to think about -- a few options and combinations," Finch said here on Saturday.
"Obviously myself and D'Arcy (Short), Usman (Khawaja) and (Marcus) Stoinis, who's done it really well through the Big Bash, and Alex Carey. There’s a few options there again in the one-day side. D’Arcy is here for the first couple of matches as cover for Shaun (Marsh). There are 3-4-5 combinations that we could go with in that regard."
Finch is perhaps guaranteed to open for Australia in the World Cup. Any other opener who may shine here would not necessarily have to make way for David Warner, the Australian captain declared. "There’s a great opportunity for guys to come in and really challenge for that spot," he said.
"We have seen Davey have some elbow surgery recently, as well as Steve (Smith). That will be at the back of our mind as well. If things don’t go 100% well with their rehab or there are some complications so that they are not back in time, it’s a huge opportunity for guys to step up. But there’s also things that you can juggle around in one-day cricket. I have batted in the middle-order a little bit, Davey has done it the odd time, so whatever we feel is the right combination at the time, I don’t think anything is out of the question."
The Australian camp was paid a visit by Matthew Hayden, who is here as a commentator. "We were talking through his surfing injury, how close he was to breaking his neck," said Finch. "It was great to have JL's great mate and a legend of the game come back. He's someone who's had so much success here in India as a batsman."
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan Highlights, OFC 0-0 MBSG, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku and Mauricio miss chances for both sides leaving it all square
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Warriorz win toss and chose to bowl first; eyes on Mandhana, Healy
- Bowl stump to stump: MP’s Anubhav shines with the ball against Andhra after following coach Pandit’s advice
- Ranji Trophy 2024 Quarterfinal: Musheer Khan hits maiden double century, puts Mumbai in command against Baroda
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Mhambrey surprised with variable bounce as India left tottering after second day