Bangladesh spinners shared seven wickets among them to notch up a eight—wicket victory over Afghanistan and set up a summit clash against India in the Under-19 tri-series one-day cricket tournament here today.
Offspinner Saeed Sarkar (three for 6) and leftarm spinner Saleh Ahmed Shawon Gazi (three for 32) claimed three wickets each to skittle out Afghans for 99 in 26.2 overs after they opted to bat in a must-win match.
Bangladesh then returned to chase down the target in less than 25 overs, losing two wickets.
Good partnership by Mehedi and Nazmul
Bangladesh were 29 for 2 in 7.2 overs, losing two wickets in space of five runs, but skipper Mehedi Hasan Miraz (37 off 50 balls) and Nazmul Hossain Shanto (38 off 60) put on an unbroken 72 at a fairly brisk clip to steer their team home in 24.3 overs and bag a bonus point against Afghanistan who failed to notch any win.
Bangladesh finished with nine points to finish second behind India as both teams will lock horns in the Sunday final clash.
Steady start by Afghanistan
Earlier, Afghanistan were given a steady start by openers Hazratullah (16) and skipper Ihsanullah (12) who put on 34 in 5.4 overs but Bangladesh skipper Mehedi Hasan Miraz (one for 19) triggered the collapse with his gentle offspin.
Leftarm pacer Mehedi Hasan Rana (two for 33) joined in the act to reduce them to 34 for 3 in 6.3 overs by taking two wickets in three deliveries.
The leftarm spin and offspin duo of Saleh Ahmed Shawon Gazi and Saeed Sarkar continued the free flow of wickets with the Afghan batsmen in no mood to build a platform and rather going for their shots as only two batsmen, apart from the openers, managed double-digit scores.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m