Wahab Riaz takes indefinite break from red-ball cricket

Wahab said he will not play in the revamped Quaid-e-Azam Trophy first class tournament which kicks off from Saturday.

Wahab, who last played a Test in October last year against Australia, has featured in 27 Tests.   -  getty images

Pakistan’s seasoned left-arm fast bowler Wahab Riaz is taking an indefinite break from the longest format of the game to concentrate on limited-overs cricket.

Wahab said he will not play in the revamped Quaid-e-Azam Trophy first class tournament which kicks off from Saturday.

“After reviewing my past couple of years’ performances in red-ball cricket and the upcoming limited overs cricket, I have decided to take time off from first-class cricket,” Wahab said.

“During this period, I will like to focus on 50-over and 20-over cricket, and continue to assess my fitness for the longer version of the game. At a stage I feel I can not only return but also perform with the red-ball, I would make myself available,” he added.

Wahab, 34, was a last minute selection for the recent World Cup after being kept out of the one-day international side for two years. Wahab, who last played a Test in October last year against Australia, has featured in 27 Tests while he has played in 87 ODIs and 27 T20 Internationals.