Ghana's AFCON campaign in trouble after 0-0 draw against Cameroon

Ghana was frustrated once again against a Cameroon side which move on to four points at the summit of group F of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

Wakaso Mubarak (R) fouls Andre Franck Zambo Anguissa during the 2019 African Cup of Nations match between Cameroon and Ghana.   -  Getty Images

Ghana remains winless at the Africa Cup of Nations after it was held to a 0-0 draw by Group F leader Cameroon at the Ismailia Stadium on Saturday.

Kwesi Appiah's side could only manage a 2-2 draw against Benin in its opening game and it was frustrated again versus a Cameroon side which move on to four points at the group's summit.

Ghana came agonisingly close to sealing all three points in the closing stages when substitute Owusu Kwabena's powerful drive crashed back off the crossbar. However, it will now be under pressure when it faces Guinea-Bissau on Tuesday in its final group game. Cameroon, meanwhile, is in pole position to qualify for the last 16 and face Benin on the same day.

Ghana looked sharper from the outset and should have forged ahead after nine minutes but Thomas Partey blazed over from 12 yards after being picked out by Jonathan Mensah.

That was followed soon after by a Christian Atsu effort from distance that fizzed past Andre Onana's left-hand post

READ | Mauritania 0 Angola 0: Martins' men claim first AFCON point

Cameroon belatedly woke from its slumber and twice tested Richard Ofori in the final 10 minutes of the first half. First, the Black Stars goalkeeper blocked Clinton N'Jie's fierce drive at his near post and he then produced a stunning save to paw away Christian Bassogog's drive from 10 yards after a flowing move had carved his defence open.

Ghana started the second half brightly, with Mubarak Wakaso drilling a strike from distance narrowly past Onana's left-hand upright. It soon fizzled out, though, with both sides lacking any kind of fluidity in a desperately poor second half.

Kwabena came so close to securing a precious win three minutes from time, picking up Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik's loose ball on the halfway line and charging forward before thundering an effort against Onana's crossbar.

A winner for either side would have been scarcely deserved.

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :