Bayern Munich earned a 2-0 victory over Lokomotiv Moscow in its final Champions League Group A game on Wednesday with second-half goals from Niklas Sule and Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting.
The Bavarians, last season’s winners who qualified for the last 16 with two matches to spare, fielded a largely second-string team with the pressure on Lokomotiv, desperate for a win to secure third place in the standings and a Europa League spot.
Bayern had the upper hand but carved out only few scoring chances in the first half, with top scorer Robert Lewandowski sidelined due to a minor injury.
Thomas Muller fired wide from close range in the 39th minute before making way for Serge Gnabry after the break, a substitution that provided an instant boost.
RELATED | Benzema double sends Real Madrid through
The Bavarians came close with a Sule header and Choupo-Moting’s backheel flick in the 53rd, before a double chance from Gnabry, who was denied by keeper Guilherme and volleyed the rebound narrowly wide.
Guilherme was beaten in the 63rd minute when Douglas Costa whipped in a corner and Suele rose above two defenders to drill a powerful header past the keeper.
Choupo-Moting, replacing Lewandowski, doubled the lead in 10 minutes from time to lift Bayern to 16 points. It is joined in the knockout stage by Atletico Madrid, 2-0 winner at Salzburg. Lokomotiv finished bottom on three points.
- ISL 2023-24 points table: Mumbai City FC fourth after win over Bengaluru FC
- Al Nassr vs Al Riyadh LIVE Updates, Saudi Pro League: Cristiano Ronaldo leads attack, starting line-ups
- PKL 2023, Bengaluru Bulls vs Haryana Steelers, UP Yoddhas vs Telugu Titans: H2H records, when, where to watch Pro Kabaddi League match?
- Volleyball Club World Championship: Ahmedabad Defenders loses to reigning champion Sicoma Perugia, out of semis race
- Al Nassr vs Al Riyadh LIVE Streaming info: When, where to watch Cristiano Ronaldo in the Saudi Pro League?