Portugal's reigning champion Benfica has confirmed that midfielder David Tavares tested positive for coronavirus on Friday, taking the tally for positive cases to at least eight players in Primeira Liga.
The Portuguese top flight is planning to restart behind closed doors towards the end of the month after the government announced on April 30 that games could resume, pending approval from the health authorities.
Benfica said 21-year-old Tavares, who is not a regular first-team player, was asymptomatic and in quarantine. His positive test comes after Vitoria Guimaraes confirmed three positive cases on Saturday and Moreirense one more.
According to the Portuguese news agency Lusa , three Famalicao players are also infected, as well as two members of the club's non-playing staff.
When Primeira was suspended on March 12 due to the coronavirus pandemic, Porto was top of the table with a one-point lead over Benfica.
The Portuguese government have said the last 10 rounds of the season will have to be played according to strict medical protocol. Players will have to pass coronavirus tests twice a week and matches will be played “in the fewest number of stadiums possible”.
- RCB-W vs DC-W Live Score Updates, Live Streaming Info: RCB wins toss, opts to bowl vs DC
- Odisha FC vs East Bengal LIVE score, OFC 0-1 EBFC, ISL 2023-24: Vishnu scores for Red and Gold within 32 seconds
- Santosh Trophy 2023-24: Manipur seals quarterfinal spot; Railways stuns defending champion Karnataka
- Delhi Open Challenger: Blancaneaux advances to quarters; India’s Kadhe-Jeevan outsed
- Shreyas Iyer, Ishan Kishan dropped from BCCI annual contracts list; Rohit, Virat, Jadeja, Bumrah retained in Grade A+