Robert Lewandowski dedicated victory to departing team mates Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery after Bayern Munich wrapped up a domestic double with a 3-0 win over RB Leipzig in the German Cup final on Saturday.
Goals from Lewandowski and Kingsley Coman sealed victory for Bayern in an enthralling game at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.
Both Robben and Ribery came off the bench to make their final appearance in a Bayern shirt, and Lewandowski hailed the iconic duo after helping Bayern to victory with a goal either side of half time.
“These titles are for Franck and Arjen, they have done so much for the club and we have to thank them,” the Polish striker told public broadcaster ARD .
The win sees Bayern lift the golden German Cup trophy for the 19th time in its history, just a week after securing a seventh successive Bundesliga title last Saturday.
“It was a difficult season at times, but I think we can now say that in the end, it was a very good season,” said Lewandowski.
The campaign has been particularly tough for Bayern coach Niko Kovac, who has faced constant criticism both from inside and outside the club in his first year in charge .
Yet the fans chanted Kovac's name before and after the final whistle as Bayern ended its season on a high.
- Australia updates T20I squad for India tour, six World Cup winners returning home
- Sabalenka to play Brisbane in warm-up for Australian Open defence
- NBA 2023-24: Joel Embiid’s triple-double fuels Philadelphia 76ers to blowout over Los Angeles Lakers
- FIBA holds draw for final four Olympic men’s basketball qualifying events
- Complete focus is on next year’s Paris Paralympics: Shooter Avani Lekhara