Thiago Alcantara will be out for "several weeks" after Bayern Munich confirmed the severity of the ankle injury he sustained on Tuesday.
A foul by Bjorn Schlottke forced Thiago off in the 75th minute of Bayern's 2-1 victory over Rodinghausen in the DFB-Pokal second round.
The former Barcelona midfielder is set for a prolonged spell out of action and will miss Der Klassiker against Bundesliga leader Borussia Dortmund on November 10.
A Bayern statement read: "Thiago faces several weeks on the sidelines. The Spain international tore the lateral collateral ligament and the articular capsule in his right ankle in the DFB-Pokal tie against Rodinghausen."
Thiago was ruled out for almost three months of the previous season after suffering a thigh injury in November 2017. He joins Corentin Tolisso (knee) and Kingsley Coman (ankle) on Bayern's long-term absentee list.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 2: IND 85/1, trails ENG by 268; Jaiswal, Gill complete fifty partnership
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores 150 vs Baroda; TN loses 3 vs Saurashtra
- NBA roundup: Heat beats Pelicans, 4 ejected after brawl
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer’s ton bails Mumbai out of trouble against Baroda on Day 1
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Sai Kishore’s fifer keeps Tamil Nadu in command against Saurashtra on Day 1