Hakan Calhanoglu could miss Inter Milan’s Champions League quarterfinal with Benfica next month after the Serie A club said on Thursday the Turkey midfielder had suffered a thigh injury.
In a statement, Inter said tests near Milan revealed Calhanoglu had pulled a muscle in his right thigh and that “his condition would be reassessed in the coming days”.
Calhanoglu was substituted in the first half of Turkey’s 2-0 Euro 2024 qualifying defeat to Croatia on Tuesday.
Inter, which sits third in Serie A, did not say for how long the 29-year-old would be out of action but Italian media report that he will be sidelined for a month.
It would rule him out of a key period for his club.
It faces Benfica over two legs, on April 11 and eight days later, after taking on fierce rival Juventus in the Italian Cup last four.
Inter is also in a battle to stay in Serie A’s Champions League positions.
Calhanoglu has played 35 times for Inter in all competitions, scoring three goals.
Latest on Sportstar
- Jabeur overcomes slow start to reach French Open fourth round
- Cerundolo downs Fritz to reach second week of slam for first time
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years
- Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt