The traditional rivals Mohun Bagan and East Bengal have sought to quarantine their almost century-old rivalry to jointly “overcome” the challenge of COVID-19 pandemic.
The century-old clubs were made a part of the #BeActive campaign launched on the UN International Day of Sport for Development and Peace to encourage people to be #HealthyAtHome as the world united in the fight against the pandemic.
The world governing body of football, FIFA, chose the Kolkata giants as the representatives from India. These two join the likes of big names like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Manchester United, which are also asking their fans to set aside their rivalries and come together in this fight.
The Mohun Bagan Twitter handle urged its fans to put aside the rivalries and “show a new solidarity” to overcome the threat of the viral outbreak.
For around a century, the fans of the two sides have remained like the two poles of a magnet, always repelling each other.
ALSO READ |
But with a pandemic coming to afflict the world, the clubs appealed to the fans to unite for a different cause.
“We urge all our fans to #BeActive and to remain healthy at home during this difficult time. This is a time to put our rivalries aside and to show a new solidarity so we can overcome the COVID-19 outbreak,” the Mohun Bagan twitter handle promoted the slogan in a specially made video that featured players from both the sides urging the fans to be safe and active.
- SA vs AUS LIVE Score, 5th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates
- IND vs AUS: Australia announces squad for ODI series against India; Head left out, Cummins returns, Labuschagne included
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, Asia Cup final 2023: Play to start at 3:40 PM after delay; Nissanka and Perera set to open for SL
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Colombo weather updates, Asia Cup final: Rain delays start of play
- India vs Sri Lanka, Asia Cup 2023 Final: List of Asia Cup winners, finals and results