Kolkata heavyweight East Bengal on Monday promised a donation of Rs 30 lakh to the state relief fund to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
Various sports bodies from the state have come together in the fight against the virus with its arch-rival an I-League champion Mohun Bagan contributing Rs 20 lakh .
Despite its ongoing financial crunch, East Bengal, which is desperately looking for a new sponsor to play in the Indian Super League, said it is looking to raise about Rs 35 lakh.
“We have already confirmed a donation of Rs 30 lakh and we are looking to add some more and hand it over to the chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) in a couple of days,” East Bengal top official Nitu Sarkar told PTI .
He further said they have arranged food at their club tent for ground staff, mostly migrants, in the Maidan area.
“As the clubs have shut their doors due to the ongoing pandemic, their livelihoods have come under risk and we have made available food for them,” Sarkar added.
- EURO 2024 schedule: Full list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, dates
- Athletics Federation of India set to become India’s first paperless NSF
- Indian sports news wrap, December 2: Rethin, Aishi win ITF junior titles; Elavenil clinches shooting nationals gold
- Syed Modi International: Priyanshu through to semifinal
- Ashwini-Tanisha pair in final, Priyanshu loses in Syed Modi International semifinals