England manager Gareth Southgate has defended his use of Phil Foden in a wide position, saying Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola also plays the midfielder in the same role.
Foden has said he feels his game is more suited to the central number 10 role but Southgate has been reluctant to use the 23-year-old there.
“He doesn’t for his club,” Southgate said. “Presumably there is a reason for that.
“You’d have to speak to Pep, who is the best coach in the world, who plays him from wide. He’s always got the freedom to drift if we play him wide and that’s important.”
England was held to a 1-1 draw by Ukraine on Saturday, its first dropped points of the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign. It faces Scotland in a friendly match later on Tuesday.
- England vs Netherlands, LIVE Streaming Info, World Cup 2023: When and where to watch ENG vs NED match today?
- Saudi Pro League champion Al-Ittihad sacks coach Espirito Santo
- FIH Hockey Olympic Qualifiers: Indian women’s team to face New Zealand, USA and Italy in Pool B
- How Afghanistan’s rapid ascent in 2023 ODI World Cup came to be: A behind-the-scenes look
- James Hillier: Realistic target for Paris 2024 is to get as many athletes into the final as possible