Manchester United midfielder Christian Eriksen could miss most of the remainder of the season because of an ankle injury, the team said Tuesday.
The 30-year-old Denmark international sustained the injury during United’s 3-1 win against Reading in the FA Cup on Saturday.
United said he will be sidelined for “an extended period” — likely until late April or early May.
“However, there is hope that Christian can return in time to play a role in the final stages of the season,” the team said.
The midfielder has become a key figure under new United manager Erik ten Hag, making 31 appearances this season.
The former Tottenham and Inter Milan player suffered a cardiac arrest on the field at the European Championship in 2021 and needed to be resuscitated with a defibrillator.
He had a cardioverter-defibrillator fitted and made his return to top flight soccer a year ago when he joined Premier League club Brentford.
His performances for the London club led to a move to United last summer.
- Brigadier Harcharan Singh honoured with Sportstar Hero Unsung Champion award at ‘Focus Punjab’ Sports Conclave
- WPL 2024: Struggling UP Warriorz eyes comeback against dominant Mumbai Indians
- Bopanna-Ebden, Yuki-Haase pairs advance, Nagal exits from Dubai Tennis C’ship
- Mexican Open: Second-seeded Holger Rune eases past American Michael Mmoh
- Argentina to play exhibition against Costa Rica instead of Nigeria in Los Angeles on March 26