An alleged assault on Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane after Arsenal’s 3-1 win over Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police.
British media reported that former United captain Keane, 52, was assaulted by a fan during an altercation.
“Police are investigating an incident at Emirates Stadium on Sunday, 3 September, during which a man was assaulted,” a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said.
“On Monday, 4 September, a 42-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault (ABH). The man has been taken into police custody. Enquiries are ongoing.”
In videos that circulated on social media following the incident, Keane’s fellow pundit Micah Richards could be seen confronting a man.
“We understand the police are investigating an alleged assault by a member of the public immediately preceding the footage circulating on social media,” a spokesperson for Sky Sports said on their website.
“In the footage seen, Micah Richards was acting to diffuse a situation,” the Sky statement said referring to the former Manchester City defender who worked at the game with Keane.
Arsenal added that it was aware of the incident.
“The Metropolitan Police is conducting an investigation into the matter and we are fully cooperating with their enquiries,” a spokesperson for Arsenal said.
The Gunners fought back from a goal down to secure a 3-1 victory over rival United in the Premier League fixture.
- ENG vs NED Live Score, World Cup 2023: England vs Netherlands predicted playing XI; Toss at 1:30 PM IST
- ENG vs NED Dream11 Prediction, World Cup 2023: England vs Netherlands predicted XI, squads, fantasy tips
- Asian Archery C’Ships: Jyothi Surekha, Parneet Kaur ensure all Indian women’s compound final
- Shaji Prabhakaran sacked as AIFF Secretary General
- Cricket World Cup diary: Tendulkar’s statue, nightlife at Park Street and unstoppable Team India