Sevilla has sacked coach Pablo Machin following Thursday's shock Europa League exit to Slavia Prague, the club has announced.
Machin was only hired as the full-time successor to Vincenzo Montella in May, 2018, and he initially looked to be a good fit after impressing with Girona, but the team's form has nosedived in recent months, culminating in the end of its European campaign at the last-16 stage on Thursday.
Sevilla was held to a 2-2 draw at home last week by Slavia, before the second leg finished with the same score after 90 minutes.
Franco Vazquez put the Spaniards ahead in extra-time, but Mick van Buren levelled on the night and Ibrahim Traore struck a minute from the end to spark mayhem among the home fans in Prague, with Friday's draw setting up a tie against Chelsea in the quarterfinals.
Poor La Liga form
Although elimination from the competition Sevilla has won five times ultimately brought Machin's downfall, it is its La Liga form that has been most alarming.
A run of just three wins in 14 league games has seen Sevilla's season transform from an unlikely title challenge to a scrap for Europa League qualification, and Machin departs with the club five points behind fourth-placed Getafe.
Sporting director Joaquin Caparros is to take the reins for the remainder of the campaign, as he did at the end of last season following Montella's dismissal, with former Sevilla, Valencia and Spain defender Carlos Marchena assisting him.
The first match of Caparros' third spell in charge will be at Espanyol on Sunday.
- Sportstar Hangout E01: India men’s hockey team captain Harmanpreet Singh on Olympic aspirations, his daughter Ruhanat and the drive to keep improving
- BAN vs NZ 2nd Test: Phillips leads New Zealand fightback against Bangladesh on gloomy third day
- Al Nassr vs Al Riyadh LIVE Streaming info: When, where to watch Cristiano Ronaldo in the Saudi Pro League?
- Delhi High Court issues interim stay order against Shaji Prabhakaran’s removal as AIFF general secretary
- Messi, Miami heading to Hong Kong for pre-season friendly