FA Cup: Brighton wins shoot-out after late comeback against Millwall

Millwall was denied a place in the FA Cup semifinals by Brighton and Hove Albion, which came from behind to win on penalties.

Brighton celebrate winning the penalty shoot-out against Millwall in the FA Cup quarterfinals.   -  Getty Images

Brighton and Hove Albion beat Millwall on penalties to reach the semifinals of the FA Cup after staging a dramatic late comeback to draw 2-2 with the Championship struggler.

The Premier League side looked set to be tumbling out of the competition after second-half goals from Alex Pearce and Aiden O'Brien put Millwall 2-0 up.

However, Jurgen Locadia gave Brighton hope of a comeback, which was duly completed when Millwall goalkeeper David Martin inexplicably let Solly March's free-kick slip through his hands with the last kick of normal time.

RELATED | FA Cup draw: Manchester City to face Brighton in semifinals, Watford gets Wolves

Shane Ferguson was sent off in extra time but Millwall held on for penalties, only to be denied a trip to Wembley as Jake Cooper blazed over to give Brighton a 5-4 win in the shoot-out and a last-four tie with Manchester City.

Brighton had marginally the better of a dour first half, Beram Kayal twice drawing saves from Martin, though the midfielder should have done better with a tame header from Anthony Knockaert's right-wing cross.

As a chill - and hailstones - descended over The Den, the action finally heated up. Martin dived to parry a Kayal effort from outside the box before Mat Ryan saved smartly from Jed Wallace after he was played through by Lee Gregory, who was then himself thwarted by the Australian keeper.

Millwall continued in the ascendancy, though, and was rewarded as Pearce slipped his marker Lewis Dunk and powered a thumping header into the net, despite Kayal's attempt to clear off the line. More poor defending from Brighton enabled the home team to double its lead, Wallace breaking free down the right to square for O'Brien to find the bottom-left corner.

Brighton and Hove Albion's Solly March celebrates after scoring the equaliser in injury time.   -  Reuters


That looked to have settled the contest in Millwall's favour but Locadia turned and lashed home emphatically to rally Brighton, which levelled in extraordinary circumstances when Martin flapped at March's seemingly innocuous delivery.

Mahlon Romeo wasted a gilt-edged chance to restore Millwall's advantage in extra time, blazing over after Ryan could only parry James Meredith's shot into his path, and at the other end Martin was equal to March's near-post attempt at the end of a fine Brighton move. Millwall's hopes of clinging on were dented when Ferguson deservedly saw red for stamping on Dunk, who subsequently put Brighton into a decisive lead in the shoot-out before nerves got the better of the unfortunate Cooper.

RELATED | Nuno delighted to take Wolves back to glory days

What does it mean? - Brighton keeps cup dream alive

Brighton's solitary win in a domestic cup competition came in the 1910 Charity Shield. It has yet to banish the demons of its 1983 loss to Manchester United in an FA Cup final replay, but the spirit Chris Hughton's men showed in fighting back after a largely poor display proved this is a side that is determined to do so.

March makes his mark

Though there was a great deal of fortune about his goal, substitute March was influential in hauling Brighton back into the game and created its best chance to win in extra time.

A day to forget for Martin

He was not to blame for its shoot-out loss, but Millwall would be toasting a place in the last four had the experienced Martin made what appeared to be a routine catch from March's set-piece delivery.

What's next?

Both teams now switch focus back to staying in their respective leagues. Brighton hosts Southampton in a crucial derby at the bottom, while Millwall - just a point above the Championship's bottom three - visits promotion-chasing Leeds United.

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :