Through a social media campaign, a section of irate fans on Wednesday urged cricket legend Kapil Dev to boycott East Bengal’s Foundation Day programme, alleging that the 100-year-old club engaged in “unethical and fraudulent” practices.
India’s first World Cup winning captain is slated to visit the red-and-gold camp to receive its highest honour, Bharat Gaurav, on Thursday.
READ| CoA: Kapil Dev, Anshuman Gaekwad, Shantha Rangaswamy to pick India's head coach
The legendary all-rounder’s East Bengal connection dates back to June 22, 1992, when he signed for the club and six days later played for 27 minutes as a substitute striker, in an exhibition match versus Mohun Bagan.
Rubbishing the social media trend, East Bengal’s executive committee member Debabrata Sarkar, however, confirmed that Dev is slated to come as per original schedule.
“There’s no change in plan. He’s coming to receive the Bharat Gaurav,” Sarkar told PTI.
On the eve of the Foundation Day celebrations, fans ran a campaign #KapilDevBoycottEB, citing East Bengal’s contract rows with players Jobby Justin and Abinas Ruidas.
They also highlighted the possible pullout of their Bengaluru-based title sponsors Quess Corp.
Latest on Sportstar
- Monfils and Svitolina - a support system for each other on and off the court
- Record-setting Djokovic wants to see ‘healthy’ Nadal back in 2024
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: Madrid trail in Benzema farewell; Sancet with the goal; RMA 0-1 ATH
- French Open: Alcaraz shuts out Musetti to progress to quarterfinals
- Sevilla’s Navas named Europa League Player of the Season