FIFA receives over 400 applications from players for financial support

FIFA said 89 per cent of cases, more than 390 players, involved European clubs and the other 11 per cent were spread worldwide.

FIFA set aside $5 million for retrospective claims dating from July 2015 to the end of this month.   -  Getty Images

A $16 million FIFA fund to pay soccer players whose clubs disbanded leaving wages unpaid has had 441 applications.

FIFA said on Monday 89 per cent of cases, more than 390 players, involved European clubs and the other 11 per cent were spread worldwide.

The fund was launched in February with the global group of players’ unions, FIFPro, which warned that some clubs closed down to avoid paying wages then re-started as a new operation.

READ| FIFA urges 'tolerance' after Donald Trump's anthem kneeling rebuke

FIFA and FIFPro said the money could be an important safety net though was unable to cover all salaries owed.

FIFA set aside $5 million for retrospective claims dating from July 2015 to the end of this month. A further $11 million is allocated for the next three years.

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :