Fiorentina captain Davide Astori has died, the Serie A club have confirmed.
It is reported the 31-year-old was found in his hotel room early on Sunday, just hours before their league clash with Udinese.
"Fiorentina are profoundly upset to have to announce that captain Davide Astori has died," the club said in a statement.
"For this terrible and delicate situation, and above all out of respect for his family, we appeal to the sensitivity of the media."
Udinese tweeted to say the match will be postponed and Genoa's clash with Cagliari, which was due to kick off at 1230 local time, has also been called off.
It is reported the remainder of Sunday's Serie A matches will also not go ahead.
According to local reports in Udine, Astori passed away in his sleep at the La di Moret hotel, where Fiorentina where staying ahead of the match.
Astori, who turned 31 in January, joined the Viola in August 2015.
The Italy international had made 25 appearances in Serie A this season, most recently in last week's 1-0 win over Chievo.
- Milan’s Jovic hit with two-match ban for hitting opponent
- Long jump trial planned to eliminate foul jumps
- World Team Table Tennis Championships: India women beat Spain, advance to Round of 32
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Jasprit Bumrah released from squad; KL Rahul ruled out due to injury
- PVL 2024: Chennai Blitz gets winning momentum back, thrashes Kochi Blue Spikers