Memphis Depay continued his goal scoring spree for the Netherlands as it thrashed Gibraltar 6-0 to stay on course for automatic World Cup qualification.
Depay scored twice, including one from the penalty spot while squandering another spot kick, to take his goal tally in the World Cup qualifiers to nine - more than any other player from a European team.
Virgil van Dijk opened the scoring with a header from a Depay corner after nine minutes and there were also second half goals for Denzil Dumfries, Arnaut Danjuma and Donyell Malen.
ALSO READ |
The result left the Dutch two points ahead of Norway in the Group G standings with two matches left to play. The Netherlands complete its qualifiers next month away against Montenegro and home to Norway.
Depay had a 19th minute penalty saved by Gibraltar debutant Bradley Banda but then made up for it with a tap-in from close range two minutes later before netting his second penalty effort on the stroke of halftime.
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning in white-ball cricket but missing out in red ball doesn’t discredit the players’ skills
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- I-League: Sreenidi Deccan takes on Mohammedan Sporting Club in potential title decider
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer