India produced a dominant show to crush Maldives 8-0 in the semifinal and qualify for the SAFF U-16 Championship summit clash on Friday.
While Aiborlang Kharthangmaw and Mohammad Arbash scored a brace each, Vishal Yadav, Mohammed Kaif, Levis Zangminlun, and Manbhakupar Malngiang scored one goal apiece.
The Blue Colts controlled the proceedings from the beginning and created several chances before taking the lead in the 21st minute, when Karish Soram’s aerial assist saw Yadav go past a couple of defenders to shoot the ball in.
While Maldives goalkeeper Ahmed Mifzal did well to deny the Indians in just over the 30 minute mark, Mate Ngamgouhou’s corner kick in the 36th was comfortably headed in by Kaif.
India was ahead 2-0 at the halftime break.
After a strong start to the second half, Zangminlun fired in the third goal in the 53rd minute with Yaipharemba Chingkham presenting a pass from the left flank.
While India coach Ishfaq Ahmed made three changes, Kharthangmaw and Malngiang scored one goal each in the 62nd and 70th minutes, respectively.
Ahmed also substituted the goalkeeper, bringing in Rohit for Suraj Singh.
In the 77th and 84th minutes, Arbash netted a brace to make it 7-0 for India, before Kharthangmaw completed his brace in the 82nd to end the annihilation.
India will be up against the winner of the other semifinal fixture between Pakistan and Bangladesh, in the final to be played on Sunday.
- India vs Australia Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Final: Shami removes Warner in first over
- IND vs AUS Live scorecard, World Cup 2023 Final: Shami dismisses Warner early in Australia chase
- India vs Australia final LIVE Updates, ICC World Cup 2023 Closing Ceremony: Pritam, Jonita perform at innings break
- Kieran Trippier withdraws from England Euro qualifiers squad due to ‘personal reasons’
- IND vs AUS: Zampa equals Muralitharan to take most wickets by a spinner in single World Cup edition