NorthEast United FC produced a commanding performance to thrash Chennaiyin FC 3-0 in an Indian Super League (ISL) match here on Friday.
While NorthEast United FC managed to record its first win in the tournament after starting with a defeat to Mumbai City FC, Chennaiyin FC suffered a second defeat on the trot as it lost to Odisha FC.
Parthib Gogoi, Phalguni Singh and Asheer Akhtar scored one goal each for the Highlanders, who were on top of their game here at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Centre.
It was in the 42nd minute when Gogoi put the NorthEast United FC ahead, executing a right-footed shot perfectly from outside the box to slot the ball in the top right corner after being assisted by Romain Philippoteaux.
After the halftime break, NorthEast United was quick to extend its lead via Phalguni, who found no difficulties in putting the ball into the bottom right corner after collecting a cross from Nestor Albiach.
The Highlanders were able to maintain their lead for the remainder of the game and bettered the scoreline in added time when Akhtar netted the third goal for his team.
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bumrah released from squad; KL Rahul ruled out due to injury
- Japan women’s captain condemns AFC over venue switch for Paris Olympics Qualifier against North Korea
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Shardul Thakur runs the show to ensure Mumbai has last laugh against Assam
- Eight-year-old Indian-born becomes youngest to beat grandmaster
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Shardul, Dube pull Mumbai to safety against Assam on Day 1