Nicolo Barella's superb winner helped Inter Milan beat Fiorentina 2-1 at San Siro on Wednesday to set up an Italian Cup semi-final meeting with Napoli.
Antonio Candreva put Inter in front on the brink of halftime, before a Martin Caceres header drew the visitor level on the hour mark.
But a blistering strike from Barella decided the quarterfinal as the midfielder raced onto a headed clearance to rifle in a low shot on the 67th minute.
The home crowd had further reason to cheer when Christian Eriksen came off the bench to make his Inter debut, one day after signing from Tottenham Hotspur in a reported 20 million deal.
Inter, which has won the Italian Cup on seven occasions but not since 2011, will face Napoli over two legs between February and March for a place in the final, against either Juventus or AC Milan.
- England vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: ENG 139/2 (22); Stokes joins Malan after Root departs
- Carlos Alcaraz to debut for Europe at Laver Cup Berlin 2024
- Asian Archery C’Ships: India’s recurve women, compound men’s team win bronze; Jyothi, Parneet ensure all-Indian women’s compound final
- Allan Donald on Angelo Mathews’ Timed out decision: ‘I was dead quiet, don’t want to see things like that’
- Shaji Prabhakaran: AIFF’s decision to terminate me comes as a shock