England advanced to the knockout stage of the Under-20 World Cup by beating host South Korea 1-0 on Friday.
Everton midfielder Kieran Dowell scored the only goal in the 56th minute, back-heeling a pass to Jonjoe Kelly and then positioning himself for the return pass and a shot into the far corner.
England won Group A with seven points, one more than South Korea. Argentina ended up in third place after beating Guinea 5-0 for its first win of the tournament. The Argentines still have a chance to advance.
The top two teams from each of the six groups and the four best third-place finishers advance to the next round. The final is set for June 11 in Suwon.
In Group B, Venezuela kept its perfect record by beating Mexico 1-0. But the Mexicans stayed in second place and advanced even though Germany defeated Vanuatu 3-2 to also finish the group stage with four points.
The Germans led 3-0 before the late comeback attempt and will have to wait to see if it progresses.
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals
- Brigadier Harcharan Singh honoured with Sportstar Hero Unsung Champion award at ‘Focus Punjab’ Sports Conclave
- Punjab’s sports policy unparalleled in the country, says Sports Minister Gurmeet Singh Meet Hayer