Chennaiyin FC’s opening goal, soon after the start, caught everybody napping but there were no further surprises as Kerala Blasters recovered to score a 2-1 win in the Indian Super League at the Nehru Stadium here on Tuesday.
The victory helped the Blasters strengthen their third spot in the league ladder with 31 points while Chennaiyin stayed in the eighth rung with 18.
Abdenasser El Khayati – the visitor’s top goalscorer this season – gave Chennaiyin an unexpected lead, picking up a Peter Sliskovic pass and scoring in the second minute before any of the home boys could settle in their positions.
Eventually, the Blasters got a grip on the game. They created plenty of chances but their Greek forward Dimitrios Diamantakos could not utilise them well.
The Blasters dominated the match, advancing frequently through the left and one such move which involved defender Jessel Carneiro, Sahal Samad and Adrian Luna saw the latter find the top right corner of the net with a stunning shot to level the score.
Just before half-time, Chennaiyin’s Vincy Barretto’s shot was pushed over smartly by the Blasters goalkeeper Prabhsukhan Gill who was in fine nick this evening while Nishu Kumar kept the Chennaiyin forward Petar Sliskovic in check.
The Blasters took the lead shortly after the hour mark following a throw-in from the right after which Adrian Luna sent a cross to K. P. Rahul who guided it home from the left.
Chennaiyin made some desperate attempts towards the end but the team had to return disappointed. The visitor’s chances of entering the six-team playoffs are now almost over.
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Updates: Where to watch, h2h record, team news and injury update
- GG vs MI Live Score, WPL 2024: Mumbai Indians wins toss, asks Beth Mooney & Co. to bat first
- Indian sports wrap, February 25
- LIVE Kerala Blasters vs FC Goa score, ISL 10: KBFC v FCG lineups; Kick-off at 7:30 PM IST; When, where to watch
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Shams, Tushar strike as Mumbai grasps first-innings lead against Baroda on Day 3