NorthEast United FC owner John Abraham does not believe in superstitions but he will surely love to know the fate of teams who host opening ceremonies in the Indian Super League.
When Atletico de Kolkata hosted the opening match in the inaugural ISL in 2014, it ended up winning the trophy. The same is true with Chennaiyin FC, which emerged winner of the second edition after hosting the opening match. Quite a coincidence!
This year, the special honour of hosting the opening match has been bestowed upon NorthEast United, and previous trends suggest the region, along with the owner, should be jumping in joy at the opportunity.
The Bollywood star though is relatively calm. “I am not a superstitious man, but when it is a happy co-incidence like this one is, we all hope that our dreams....the dreams of all the fans of the North-East can come true this year,” said John.
NorthEast United FC finished at the bottom of the pool during the inaugural edition and John admitted they made mistakes. Last season, NorthEast missed out on a semifinal berth by a whisker.
“This year, we hope to go one step further and at least make the semis. We will see where we go from there,” he said.
NorthEast United FC plays Kerala Blasters FC in the season's opening game on October 1 at Guwahati.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023 HIGHLIGHTS: Djokovic beats Alcaraz, Ruud defeats Zverev to set up title clash
- French Open 2023: Ruud faces Djokovic for title after semifinal win over Zverev
- WTC Final 2023, IND vs AUS: Shardul optimistic about India’s chances; Starc lauds Rahane knock
- Chicharito set for right knee surgery says MLS Galaxy
- Inter’s Martinez living the dream as he seeks Champions League and World Cup double