Federico Chiesa and Lorenzo Pellegrini are both out of Italy’s squad for the Euro 2024 qualification games with North Macedonia and Ukraine through injury, the Italian football federation (FIGC) announced on Friday.
Luciano Spalletti and his squad leave on Friday for Skopje where they will face North Macedonia on Saturday, but Chiesa and Pellegrini have both returned to their clubs after picking up muscle injuries.
“Subjected this morning to diagnostic tests, the Juventus striker (Chiesa) and the AS Roma midfielder (Pellegrini) were unavailable for the matches with North Macedonia and Ukraine,” the FIGC statement said.
This is Spalletti’s first squad since replacing Roberto Mancini as Italy manager in August. Italy have three points from their opening two Group C games after defeat to England and an away win in Malta.
After the game with North Macedonia, it will face Ukraine in Milan on Tuesday.
- India vs Qatar, FIFA World Cup qualifiers: Igor Stimac’s work over the years is bearing fruits now, says Rahul Bheke
- Having helped Australia win the World Cup, Pritesh Joshi harbours dream of working with Team India
- It is an outcome of teamwork, says Savita after third FIH Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year Award 2023 nomination
- Pat Cummins relishes reaching ‘pinnacle of international cricket’ as Australia crowned ICC World Cup for sixth time
- IND vs AUS: Let the dust settle first for reflection, says Dravid after India loses ICC World Cup 2023 final