Atletico Madrid drew 1-1 at Athletic Bilbao on Sunday on its return to action after La Liga's three-month hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, missing out on the chance to capitalise on slip-ups by its rival for Champions League places.
Iker Muniain gave Athletic the lead in an empty San Mames stadium by prodding home in the 37th minute to complete a clever move but Atletico responded two minutes later when Diego Costa slotted in following a through ball from Koke.
ALSO READ| Highlights- Bilbao holds Atletico
Diego Simeone's Atletico side had the best chance to win the game after the interval when Athletic goalkeeper Unai Simon parried a cross from Renan Lodi into the path of Santiago Arias but the keeper recovered to block the rebound with his leg.
Atletico is sixth on 46 points, level with fifth-placed Getafe, which lost at Granada on Friday, and fourth-placed Real Sociedad, which hosts Osasuna later on Sunday. Athletic is 10th on 38.
- Meg Lanning retires: The story of a successful career spent searching for balance
- Glenn Maxwell hits joint-fastest T20I century by an Australian
- Maxwell’s ‘Big Show’ trumps Gaikwad’s maiden century as Australia pips India in run-fest to keep series alive
- IND vs AUS: Why did Ishan Kishan’s stumping attempt off Axar Patel’s bowling result in a no-ball? Rules explained
- Indian sports news wrap, November 28