Real Madrid’s newly-recruited midfielder Arda Guler has undergone successful knee surgery, the Spanish club said on Monday.
Madrid said Guler “underwent an arthroscopy of the right knee today (and will) begin physiotheraphy in the coming days”.
Guler signed a six-year contract with Madrid last month but will start the season on the sidelines.
No time frame was given for the 18-year-old’s debut but reports estimate it could be up to two months.
The Turkish prodigy was signed from Fenerbahce under the noses of archrival Barcelona for a reported 20 million euros ($21.7 million).
A left-footed playmaker, the teenager in June became the youngest player to score for Turkey.
Madrid’s Brazilian defender Eder Militao and Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois are also set for surgery on ruptured cruciate knee ligaments.
- ICC World Cup 2023 Points Table: Latest team standings, Net Run Rate updated after IND vs AFG match
- Top 10 moments from Asian Games 2023 - Part 1
- Most sixes in international cricket: Rohit Sharma hits 556 sixes, goes past Gayle’s record
- ICC World Cup 2023: Kohli breaks Sachin’s record of most 50-plus scores in successful ODI run-chases
- IND vs AFG, World Cup 2023: Rohit Sharma blitzkrieg sets up India’s win over Afghanistan