Lazio moved up to third in Serie A as a second-half penalty by Ciro Immobile secured a 1-0 victory against mid-table Udinese on Sunday and boosted its Champions League qualifying hopes.
Lazio has 68 points and leads fourth-placed Inter Milan by two points and AC Milan in fifth by four with two games left. Juventus is second on 69 before it visits Empoli on Monday.
Immobile and Luis Alberto had the best chances to break the deadlock for Lazio in the first 45 minutes. Immobile came close with a header, while Alberto’s strike brushed the woodwork.
Immobile had another chance to put Lazio ahead just after the break in a one-on-one with Marco Silvestri but the keeper produced a remarkable one-handed save to keep him at bay.
Lazio got a break in the 61st minute when Immobile was fouled by Adam Masina in the box and he converted the penalty.
Udinese, which is 12th with 46 points, thought it had equalised late on through Ilija Nestorovski’s header but it was ruled out for offside.
Lazio hosts relegated Cremonese next Sunday before finishing the season at Empoli on June 4.
- Trap shooting coach Dradi seen with Spanish team in Croatia days after leaving Asian Games camp in Delhi
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Punjab FC LIVE, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Kick-off at 8:00 PM IST; MBSG vs PFC updates
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Punjab FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- Asian Games 2023, Opening ceremony LIVE updates: Harmanpreet Singh, Lovlina march as India’s flag-bearers; Chinese athletes enter Hangzhou Stadium
- Rugby Sevens at Asian Games 2023: India squad, full schedule at Hangzhou 2022